DBN Logo 520x72

The City of Dearborn understands that many residents may want to undertake more improvement projects while staying close to home this summer.

They may not know that building permits are still required, regardless of whether the work is being contracted out, or if it is being done by the homeowner.

Building permits are issued to ensure the safety of construction and renovation projects. With a permit, a professional inspector will review the project to protect the homeowner from damage or potential hazards that could occur in the future.

Some projects that require a residential renovation permit include the installation of new doors, replacing windows, replacing exterior siding, adding a room or enclosed porch, installing a greenhouse or hot tub, or construction accessory structures such as gazebos or flag poles.

Residents can call Permit Information at 313-943-2442 or Permit Inspections at 313-943-2400 for details on obtaining a permit. Additionally, the application for obtaining a permit is available online at cityofdearborn.org.

A full list of projects requiring a permit is below:

You need a Residential Renovation Permit for the following:
• Installing a new door (including exterior doors) or wall requiring framing
• Removing & replacing smaller window with a larger window or a larger window with a smaller window
• Removing smaller door and replacing with larger interior or exterior door
• Installing or enlarging arch, door or pass through between rooms interior or exterior
• Removing interior finish material (plaster, drywall, celotex, wood sheathing) and replacing damaged framing members, re-insulate/vapor barrier and replace with approved interior finish
• Removing and replacing sub floor material or joists that support the sub floor material
• Removing roof covering and replacing/installing more than 10% of roof sheathing
• Removing exterior finishes materials and replacing with brick, stone, stucco, marble, limestone with new foundations for the masonry
• Removing and replacing chimney cap or brick veneer chimney stack
• Waterproofing of basement interior and exterior systems
• Addition of room, dormer, breezeway, enclosed porch, sunroom, gazebo spa enclosure
• Removing, relocating or installing new wall(s)
• Installing new bathroom
• Installing a new or replacing an existing green house, pool spa or hot tub enclosure exterior rooms
• Installation of elevated landscaping retaining wall for elevation change requires Zoning review
• Finishing basement (confirm with permit department on egress window requirements)
• Removing and replacing interior or exterior stairway
• Constructing accessory structures such as gazebo, pergola, shed, flag poles & basketball poles or similar structures (confirm your building plans with the Zoning Administrator for requirements and restrictions – David Breneau at 313-943-3692)

You DO NOT a Residential Renovation Permit for the following:
• Removing and replacing of existing windows or broken window replacement
• Removing and replacing exterior doors (Front door or door framing systems permit required)
• Enclosing of an archway or doorway interior Removing and replacing damaged drywall holes, cracks, peeling – Does not include entire walls
• Removing or replacing floor finish covering (wood, ceramic, marble, slate, vinyl, resilient tile, carpeting) including underlayment
• Removing and replacing roof coverings (asphalt shingles, shake shingle)
• Removing and replacing of exterior aluminum, vinyl, wood finishes
• Installing or removing and replacement of gutters/downspouts or disconnections from sewer
• Replacing with new kitchen cabinets only (when not including dry wall demo or wall changes)
• Painting or staining exterior of house, garage or other structure

You need a Swimming Pool Permit for the following:
• Installing or replacing an above-ground and in-ground pools over 24” inches in height and which must be enclosed by a fence with a gate that locks.
• Installing or replacing a spa, hot tub, sauna, etc.