With outdoor temperatures heading toward the freezing mark, Michigan utility customers can still stay comfortable at home while reducing energy waste and cutting bills – a winning "Be WinterWise" combination, according to state officials.
“By taking simple, low- and no-cost actions now, utility customers don’t need to endure indoor temperatures that are colder than they’d like,” notes Valerie Brader, Michigan Agency for Energy (MAE) executive director. “The Be WinterWise website contains a treasure trove of handy tips on how to reduce energy waste, how to avoid shut-offs, and ways to get assistance with bills.”
The website includes:
- Low-cost ways to reduce energy usage
- Energy assistance programs designed to prevent shut-offs, including:
- Winter Protection Plans for senior citizens and low-income customers
- State Emergency Relief
- Medical emergency shut-off protection
- Shut-off protection for active duty military personnel or their spouse
- Information on grants from the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)
- Information on agencies that provide MEAP assistance by calling 2-1-1
- Home Heating Credit
- Weatherization Assistance Program
The Be WinterWise website is located at: Michigan.gov/BeWinterWise.
For more information about MAE, please visit www.michigan.gov/energy.