DBN Logo 520x72


Record Check

The Dearborn Police Department Records Bureau performs record checks for the public.

You must present a valid driver’s license, and a state ID, or other picture ID that has your name and address. There is an $11 fee for this service.

An employer or the Armed Services (for example) may also request a record check if they have a signed release from the individual.

The Dearborn Police Department does not provide state or federal records.

Monday and Wednesday: 12:30pm – 4:30pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:00am – 11:30am and 12:30pm – 4:30pm
Friday: 8:00am – 11:30am

Record Bureau

Gun Registrations and Pistol Purchase Permits

Hours: Wednesdays 12:30PM-3:30PM or Fridays 9:00AM-11:30AM

What is a Pistol Purchase Permit?
Purchase permits are required when a buyer is purchasing or transferring ownership of a pistol from a private party.

Where can I apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit?
Michigan residents can apply for a purchase permit from any local police department or sheriff office in Michigan. Upon the sale or transfer, the permit must be returned to the department that issued it, regardless of where you live.

Who needs a Purchase Permit?
For all private pistol sales and/or transfers of pistols individuals without a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL) are required to obtain a pistol purchase permit prior to taking possession of the pistol. Purchase permits are valid for 30 days.

Who does not need a Pistol Purchase Permit?
• Residents who are buying from a Federal Firearm License (FFL) dealer.
• Residents who have a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL), or valid MCOLES number.
• Purchase permits are only for pistols (not rifles, shotguns or other firearms).

What is required to apply for a Purchase Permit?
• For private sales, the purchaser must be 18 years of age or older.
• Valid Michigan Driver’s License or Michigan State ID that reflects your current address.
• Successful State and local background check (conducted by the Dearborn Police Department).
• There is a $6 notary fee for the permit application (cash or check).
• There are various citizenship documents required if you were not born in the United States. (See below)

What if I wasn’t born in the United States?
If you weren’t born in the United States, you will need to provide additional citizenship documentation such as a valid US passport, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certificate of Naturalization, or Permanent Resident Card (Green card).


How do I Register the sale or transfer of a pistol?
At the time of a pistol sale or transfer, a Pistol Sales Record Form RI-060 , is to be completed by the seller. The completed Licensing Authority Copy of the form shall be returned to the Police Department listed on the purchaser’s Michigan Driver’s License or State ID within 10 days of the purchase or transfer. (The Record Bureau cannot accept Pistol Sales Record Forms from non-residents, unless it is a purchase permit issued by the Dearborn Police Department.)

Where can I find additional information on Michigan pistol laws?
Michigan Legislature Section 28.422

How do I apply for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)?
Applications for a permit to Concealed Pistol License (CPL) must be obtained through the Wayne County Clerk at www.waynecounty.com/clerk. The Dearborn Police Department does not accept CPL applications. For further information on CPL guidelines, visit the State of Michigan Firearms webpage.

Record Bureau

FOIA Requests

Crime statistics and data can be viewed at the Dearborn Police Department’s Transparency Policing page.

Crime statistics and records and can also be requested through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Requests must be submitted to the Record Bureau.

City of Dearborn FOIA Request Portal

Police FOIA Support
313-943-3048 Fax
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


FingerprintThe Record Bureau offers fingerprinting services on a walk-in basis between the hours of 8:00am - 11:30am on Tuesday and Thursday. There is a $20 fee for residents and a $35 fee for non residents.

You must present proper identification, which must have your current address, such as a valid driver’s license or a State ID.

The Dearborn Police Department only does ink prints, not Livescan prints.

Record Bureau